Saturday, November 24, 2012

LIVING AT THE SAME ADDRESS: CHRIST


Moving is hard. When I was a kid, we never moved. Well, I did move when I was 2 years old, but I don’t remember it. I must have been sleeping. My parents may have bundled me up in a bundler of some kind and put earmuffs on my ears and eyes (“eyemuffs”) and kidnapped me to a new address so that the “big move” to a bigger house two miles away would not unduly upset my precious world. And it was a precious world. My parents made it that. They wanted me to have a precious world, and I did.

Hanging out on Ivanhoe
We moved from a street called Ivanhoe in Canton, Ohio, to 4924 18th Street, where I lived until I was twenty. Not many people enjoy this kind of stability anymore, what with the transient and violent nature of this planet and the eons cradling it. Have you noticed the instability of this world? The earthquakes? The hurricanes? The floods? The mudslides? The local newscasts? Just when you think you can count on things staying the same, the earth quakes, the mud slides, or the news casts, and you find yourself wishing for the good old days of five minutes ago.

The apostle Paul wants us to be rooted and grounded in the truth: Ephesians 3:17-19:

Be made staunch with power, through His spirit, in the human within, Christ to dwell in your hearts through faith, that you, having been rooted and grounded in love, should be strong to grasp, together with all the saints, what is the breadth and length and depth and height, to know the love of Christ.

The only way we can know the love of Christ is to be rooted and grounded in the truth that Christ loves us. If you flinch or flicker in this knowledge, you will often wonder whether the love of Christ really exists, or if it’s just a passing fancy of His.

Stability in life helps this. They say your first image of God is what you see in your earthly father. Likewise, our first image of being rooted and grounded in the love of Christ is the kind of rooting and grounding we experience early in life. I speak of being settled during our formative years. I speak of having time to develop relationships, of playing with the same kids, and having the same neighbors stopping by for a drink on Christmas. This is not necessary to a spirit-filled life, but is a gift of God helping set the foundation for one. If you can provide this kind of stability for your kids, then try like hell to do it.

But I still like you, Pikes Peak.
For all my bubbly, stir-the-pot nature, I love stability. This move from Colorado has been hard. Moving to Colorado was hard, because I had lived in Ohio for 52 years. For a year, I struggled to adapt to my Colorado home. Just when I got settled into the mountains and the sunshine and my precious wife, my wife excised me from her life, and the mountains didn’t seem to care about me any more. This still shocks my system; my system is used to stability. Would I stay in Colorado? I thought I would. But the memories—which were everywhere—killed me softly. Some people say I’m too emotional—stop it, you’ll make me cry. Change is foreign to my nature and my upbringing, so it hits me like an 8.9 quake.   

I am now living in Pennsylvania, where love and peace rise like morning mist from the oldest mountains here. (The mountains here got formed and covered thousands of years before those of the Rockies.) I want to travel. I am endeavoring to plug into the truth that God is everywhere, and that I take the spirit of Christ with me wherever I go. I have always known this, but now it enters the liver through the heart. If the spirit of God makes its home in me (1 Corinthians 3:16), then I am at home wherever I am. This high truth defies zip codes.

I am looking forward to the stability of my celestial home from which neither I—nor any of us—shall ever be excised.  

© 2012 by Martin Zender


3 comments:

wendyworn said...

Martin
I hope you are doing ok. I am praying for you to have peace and healing in your life. I'll bet that staying with Clyde and his family is maybe the best place on earth?

I actually don't enjoy being in the same place all the time. The Lord had me quit my job and go out on the road for a couple years to be led by the spirit. That may have been the highlight of my life. Now I'm back working in corporate america working 47 hours a week and sometimes I feel the need to get back in my van and live the vagabond life once again. But alas, this is where the Lord has placed me and I must obey His leadings - so corporate america it is.

you are one of the few men heralding the REAL truth of God's word. In this world it is so hard to find people that believe even the foundation of no eternal torment and God saves everyone, let alone teach it and continue to shed new light in this day and age. It is an evil eon we live in.
Dont despair my friend. God is faithful.

lots of love and prayers!
Linda

Ask Shereeeeee said...

I loved this entry! I can totally relate, and that pic is so adorable with your signature sunglasses:)

Sheree:)

BrainPoet said...

Hey Martin;

Colorado is a beautiful state, but a lot of demonic weirdness goes on there nonetheless. You are much better off in Pennsylvania.
enjoying your blogs. Keep 'em coming!