Saturday, December 15, 2012

ARRIVING IN LAS VEGAS

"Great news. World-record jet stream."

The flight left an hour late out of Newark. “But don’t worry,” the gate agent assured us, “The jet stream is amazingly strong today—I think it’s a world record—and so what would normally be a five-hour flight will take about six hours.”

That became just fine when I realized the seat between the window dude and myself would remain unoccupied. Thank you, God, for small and large favors.

The last time I was in Las Vegas was 1984, when bicycling across the United States. I’ve pedaled the trans-con twice, both times passing through Vegas. Therefore, these two odd facts stand out to me: I have never been in this town except on two wheels (literal truth), and have never traveled through it faster than 15 miles per hour.

Midway through the flight, I enjoyed a glass of wine, finished the rest of my Hershey dark chocolate bar, and listened to Led Zeppelin’s Whole Lotta Love four times. This inspired me (obviously) to write two video scripts for our new video company in Windber, Yeah-Yeah Productions. The guys back home will be happy to hear this. They have been dying to make another movie ever since the release of “Psycho Boy.” By the way, if you have not seen “Psycho Boy,” head here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht3VvOp7wio

I am feeling much saner now, thank you. 

Floating into it at night from heavenly realms, Las Vegas sparkles, pretty, like the wondertown it is. On final approach, it occurred to me: If I think this is impressive, what will the New Jerusalem of the new earth do to me? My very next thought about New Jerusalem was: Will Shania Twain be performing? Wayne Newton? David Copperfield?


You probably want to know if I am nervous meeting people I’ve never met, picking me up at airports. Am I worried about being kidnapped? No. I am trying to be content in all circumstances, including kidnappings. I got off the plane, and there was Joe Newman. He was brandishing neither a gun, nor a large canvas bag—just a big grin and a welcoming hug. I liked him right away.

Joe is a funny guy. I was wandering around the terminal trying to find him, and he texted me: “I’m the guy with the haircut.”

We talked easily on the way to his house. Do I ever like his family! Joe’s wife Melinda, and his daughter Hannah and son Matthew, all greeted me and made me feel instantly at home. I sat at the kitchen bar while Melinda made salad and Hannah relayed her recent adventure/trauma sharing truths about human free will with close friends. (“She read your book The Really Bad Thing About Free Will,” said Joe in the car, “and it got her into trouble, like, within three days. Nice job, Zender.”)

Matthew and Hannah, magneted onto the refrigerator.
Matthew’s favorite school subject is science; Hannah hates Math, but everything else is okay with her. She’s already thinking heavily about God, which is quite something for a fourteen year-old. Oh! Check out this awesome painting she did, hanging in her room:

(Click to enlarge.)
Interesting that I'd just taught on that verse on my last Zender show.

There are two pets here, a dog and a cat. I forget their names, but the cat is a female and seems to know how cute she is. She can get away with anything, including drinking directly out of my water glass this morning. I will discern the name of this dehydrated animal (well, she is not dehydrated any more), and report to you forthwith.

Let me know if I can get you some breakfast with that, kitty.
Hannah gave up her room for me, so I’m enjoying a decor I never would have chosen for myself, but that is already growing on me.

Check out my pillow:



And my lamp:


I forced myself to stay up last night; it wasn’t hard because fellowshipping with the Newman family was so gosh-darned fun. I woke up at 3 o’clock, though. Yep—up came the shutters of the mind and they weren’t going back down. Obviously, my body still thinks its in Pennsylvania. I tried to go back to sleep: no dice. So I came down here to the kitchen at four to post yesterday’s blog and write this one. 


The family is still asleep; all is quiet and peaceful. (I found a bag of "raisin medley" in the fridge.) The only sounds are the tick-tock of the clock, and water being lapped from my glass by a disobedient, formerly dehydrated, but very cute cat.

The meeting starts at 10 this morning. There will be three meetings between now and Thursday. Come on out! There is still time, if you hurry. (From Los Angeles, do not attempt it on a bicycle .)

I’ll get some real photos of the real people today. Yesterday evening was too much fun and the conversation too engaging to drag out the camera.

Thanks for traveling along with me on this adventure. We are one big happy family, is the way I see it.

© 2012 by Martin Zender


3 comments:

Alexandria said...

1234 CHECK; Just seeing how this thing works: Even if I can get through without setting up some blog thing that I know nothing about:

Alexandria said...

Wow; did you see that Martin, I got through: O My; cool; I watch your phyco boy, and I can relate: They(the governments of this world) even pay me to stay indoors: Satan does not want to get these deep hidden mysteries (truth) out there, but thanks be to God we have internet: Go for it Martin you have the baton, RUN MARTIN RUN!!! but don't forget to have fun: LOL!!! Glory be in Jesus Name: Alexandria:

Fellow Heir said...

You put the part about the new scripts in the paragraph about Zeppelin. No way I was going to miss that.

I'll fire up the Canons (cameras) and have them waiting when you get back with those scripts.

Wish I was there in Vegas to meet all these awesome believers. They seem like a great bunch.

- Aaron