Friday, January 11, 2013

STEELER NATION, DISPLACED


(Before I get started on my rant of the day, stay tuned tomorrow for a detailed report on the three guests we received Wednesday from Sarasota; the spiritual discussion was so rich. Also, tomorrow afternoon is our big meeting here, which I’ll blog on Sunday. Less than an hour from now, I’m heading down to Miami with a woman named Mary Ellen, who will show me “Little Havana” and other sites of a city I’ve never explored. Plan on lots of photos from there, probably Monday. Okay, now I can relay to you something that has been weighing heavily upon my heart.)  

Back in western Pennsylvania, everyone is a Pittsburgh Steelers fan. It isn’t that I don’t like the Pittsburgh Steelers, it’s just that I’d come to despise them. I’m ambivalent now, but back in the day, growing up in Northeastern Ohio, my family rooted for the Cleveland Browns—especially my dad. The Browns and the Steelers were more rivalrous than cats and dogs (big cats, and mean dogs), so I used to hate everything about Pittsburgh, especially the fact that they won most the time. I used to think Terry Bradshaw was the ugliest man on earth, but couldn't deny he was the best quarterback on the very same planet.

Okay. I got it. You're Troy Polamalu.
I live two hours from Pittsburgh now, and the fans are as crazy as advertised. To me, the ultimate sign of nuthood (besides waving yellow bath towels) is wearing a Troy Polamalu jersey. It seems that every other person in western Pennsylvania owns one, including women and babies. Dogs, too. To what depths does humanity plunge, I wonder, when individuals, born of God, unique as snowflakes, surrender their identities to assume that of a person with womanish hair whose claim to fame is: he makes it extremely difficult for other people to catch footballs thrown them by quarterbacks not nearly as unlovely as Terry Bradshaw (which is all of them).

Get a life, dude.
This jersey thing irritates me, obviously. Something about the Steelers themselves has irritated me for years, though I’m mostly over it, thanks to the realization that God is going to eventually save them, too.

So I come to South Florida thinking: This is not only going to be a nice break from the Pennsylvania winter, but I’ll also be getting away from Steelers fans for awhile. What a refreshing change of pace.

Oh, shit.

Then what happens? I FIND MYSELF IN THE MIDDLE OF STEELERS NATION! WTF!? There is a whole fan base in this town, all Steelers-crazed. But that’s not the worst of it, oh no. If only. Waylan and Regena are gung-gung-ho for the men in yellow and black. Where does this leave me? Sucking my thumb.  

I know when I am beaten. I am a gracious man. As they say, if you can’t beat them, take your thumb from your mouth and join them. So: Go Steelers. Give me a Terrible Towel, and I’ll wave it. Turn on an NFL Sunday show with Terry Bradshaw commenting, and I’ll watch it.

I know when I'm beaten.
But if the cute little pooch, Zack, shows up tomorrow morning in a Troy Polamalu jersey, that's where I draw the line.

© 2013 by Martin Zender

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and your potty mouth. And Bradshaw ain't ugly. Ever seen his daughter, the country singer. Whoa baby! No ugly man could produce that beautiful, hot babe. And you are probably just jealous of Troy P's hair. Not to mention his 6 pak abdomen. And even though I am old, I am returning to my ponytail of my twenties. Wonder what Alexandra would think?

Anonymous said...

Great writing as always, Martin! I would love to know if you will ever be in Wisconsin for some fellowshipping. Go Packers! Beat the 49ers! Yes, I am a Packer nut who wears a Clay Matthews jersey. I think if you ever come to Wisconsin you will realize that we are very similar to Steeler fans in the way we obsess about our Packers.

Anonymous said...

Well, you better pray harder, because your team and man are getting beat right now. Too bad. Atlanta will kill all of them. And Ryan is a believer, too.

Anonymous said...

Matt Ryan believes in the salvation of all? He went to BC so I would assume he's Catholic but who knows. Pro sports need someone who openly speaks Paul's gospel. I like Tebow, but he's too mainstream evangelical.

And yes rough night for the Packers. It was painful to watch Kaepernick rack up record numbers on our pathetic defense, but he's a good player, and SF is a good team.

I love football, but I think in the eons to come we'll be laughing at how we used to obsess over a silly game and worship grown men who play it (I already laugh at those people.)

Anonymous said...

"Matt Ryan believes in the salvation of all?" Hahah. Of course not, only about five people do including Martin Zender and you. It is football dude, the " return of the gladiators of Rome." They only believe in one thing.............taking out the opponent. ( which were lions back in the day, and not Detroit) Hmmm......I wonder if the pro counsel that threw the believers into the colliseum to be devoured by hungry lions, believed in the salvation of all, thereby vindicating himself.?

Anonymous said...

Go Cowboys! :(