Sunday, December 23, 2012

SACRAMENTO; WHAT A MEETING


What a meeting. It is a matter of preparation, for all of us. Not only do I have to prepare a message and know what I’m talking about, but Anita has to prepare the house and the main dish, and the people coming have to prepare many side-dishes. In other words, there are so many “human” things we all have to do. But then, when it comes down to it, God takes over and makes everything work.

That is exactly what happened here yesterday afternoon. Wow. Over twenty attended. Five people who had never fellowshipped with the Sacramento group, came. Again, people filled with the spirit of God meshed in the spirit of God. I still can’t get over the marvel of that—of watching people who have never met, embrace each other. I admit to being thrilled that God uses me as a catalyst for this marvel. It is delightful to be used in this capacity. I just step back and watch people talk and hug and fellowship, like long-lost family members. It is so satisfying; how could I ever tire of it?

I gave an overview of the first five chapters of Romans. I said: “In Romans, the good news starts with three chapters of bad news.” Paul sets the stage of humanity’s hopelessness before he unleashes grace. He is following the pattern he recommends to Timothy (2 Timothy, 4:2), of “expose, rebuke, and entreat.” He first exposes and rebukes humanity (both Jews and Greeks), before he entreats. I compared it to a symphony. The symphony begins in Romans 3:21, but before it starts, Paul has to shut every mouth. He must silence the hall. This, he effectively does. He shuts us up to put us in a relaxing posture—a reclining mode—so that we can receive truth. Otherwise, we argue our worthiness, or we deny our inclusion in the condemnation of humanity, both religious and secular.

The message was so well-received; the gospel has power. All I have to do is articulate it, and it does its work. Again, I am delighted to be used of God in this capacity. Concerning the truth: I am convinced of it; I am passionate about it; God has graciously given me the ability to clear the clutter and let the message convey its own weight. Lastly, I know when to stop talking. At that point, everyone else jumps in, and there is nothing better to see and hear than people reveling in truth, and sharing their stories.  

(Click to enlarge photos.)


Gail Ettlin (Joe's sister-in-law), Linda Ramey

Robbie Hernandez, Eddie, Gerhard Rutsch

Erin and Robbie Hernandez

Dot Haworth, Darrin and Robin Haworth, Dolly

Charles Rutsch

John

Dolly and Eldred

Bill Cook, Linda Ramey

Gerhard Rutsch, Anita Butler

Joe and Charles

Ken Whittmore, Bill Cook

Linda and Charles Ramey

Robin Haworth

Dot and John Haworth

Anita Butler, Jenny Rutsch

Anita, Kevin, Linda L.
 As if we hadn’t had enough excitement and good times, at 8:30 p.m. Anita, Kevin, Linda, Joe, Eddie and myself  drove out to Pete’s Restaurant and Brewhouse in Sacramento to hear Anita and Kevin’s son’s band, Boom-Boom Ya-Ya, jam out the house. Man, was that ever a good time.






The Boom-Boom Ya-Yas
Lead singer Justin Newman

I am sleeping until 7 a.m. now, which translates to an absurd wake up time back east of 10 a.m. I’m living in the moment, so all is relatively well.

Our plane for Vegas takes off in five hours.

© 2012 by Martin Zender 

2 comments:

Fellow Heir said...

A shout out to Charles Rutsch!

He has done more for the ministry than most know. He has been called by our Lord to be an enabler during our time here. Thank God for Charles Rutsch!

Anonymous said...

Well, it's brought a lot of experts to the area and increased activity there. Which is good for the economy as we all know.