Monday, December 24, 2012

THE ARMS OF GOD AND EVERYTHING IN-BETWEEN


I thank God for the arms of love awaiting me in Pennsylvania at the end of this amazing trip. I thank God for the loving arms here that will send me so lovingly upon my way. What I do not look forward to is the intervening hours of aloneness, especially today. 

This is a hard day. 

My parents have now both been dead for about eight years. I will not see my children today. It is not only Christmas eve—a day with no spiritual connection for me, but rather familial—it is Rebecca’s birthday, and the anniversary of the day I proposed marriage to her. I proposed marriage that day—and succeeded. She proposed divorce shortly thereafter—and succeeded.

To lay out for you two other ends of a similarly sad spectrum (I ought to avoid this for the sake of all, yet here I am; I cannot seem to help myself): I seek reconciliation, she seeks absolute and total separation for the eon. I fail in my quest, she succeeds in hers.

I would like to be cauterized against pain, but my heart operates differently. It does not follow any of my wonderful rules for it. I am just too open, too honest, too “there.” I do not travel through life with a shovel, to bury. If I carry a shovel at all through this life, it is to unearth. I live and try to walk across the cemetery—through it, out of it—and I will walk. But I refuse to cover my tracks, or pretend that I never walked across a cemetery. In life, I taste both the good and bad, to the dregs. I stop "drinking" only to a finality. (Where is the finality? When we are all consummated in Christ.) Whether this is a blessing or a curse, I don’t know. Often, if feels like a curse. But I would not be the person I am, without it. (Therefore, I have answered my own question.)

Part of me does not want to be writing. I would rather “leave it be.” But since I'm unable to do that, I may as well do it with verve, or whatever of that I can muster. Why hold back? You are my friends. Why make this blog anything but an honest communication? If I am not honest, nothing is learned, nothing is new, we’re none the wiser. So now I reach out to you. Why? I would rather die exposed, than live hiding. 

This, too, shall pass. Tomorrow will be another day. And then, so will the next day. Unrequited love hurts, and I shall not pretend it is anything different. The love of Christ trumps all. Agape love trumps all. The best thing about agape love is that it requires not an ounce of requital. It loves, even in the face of rejection. In fact, it requires rejection for its display. (Damn it.)

Thus, the shovel. 

If agape love is all one has at the moment, it is good enough. It has to be. After all, it is the love of God. 

4 comments:

Fellow Heir said...

We are waiting with arms wide open here in Pennsylvania - the state for friends. Rest assured, you will spend this day with family this year.

You, my friend, have inspired me to get rid of my Facebook account. With your work ethic and enthusiasm for the truth, Facebook has fallen off my list of priorities. Lets make the hell out of some videos when you get back!

wendyworn said...

Martin

I am very sorry you are hurting. you are not alone in your feeling of aloneness. This walk can be very lonely. I am so thankful that I can read your blog and listen to your radio show and I feel like I am there and we are friends and I wake up in the morning looking forward to listening to your show and starting my day and it is ok - because I know that at least you (and Dan and Clyde etc) believe the truth and then I know that I am not alone.

Be good to yourself. Lots of love!
Linda

Manna ם ֶחֶלּ ַה said...

Martin:

I love you!!! and we still haven't met, but I know this expression is what would be found right now in so many hearts connected to you. Love is all there is and that is becoming more apparent every breath we take.

Dennis

Rich Kovatch said...

Dear Martin. Your tone sounds very dejected to me. It seems a bit of a shock to me from meeting with you these past few days. I have a poem that I was led to write that might perk you up a bit I pray. And you don't have to grade it this time. Ha,ha,ha. You'll like the title at least. It doesn't look like it copied in the most readable style but I'm sure you can get through it o.k. It's called...S t r e s s

There are two kinds of stress
And I certainly will openly confess
That both have their effects which change its holder
Stress from God heats us up, from the Devil…makes hearts colder.

Godly stress is the “Consuming Fire” that proceeds out from God’s own tongue Deut. 4:24, Heb. 12:9
and always burns the hearts of those of us dwelling upon a low, low rung Luke 24:32
Of the ladder of wisdom; which in turn encourages an upward climb;
But this progression to a higher place always takes a long, long time.

How one views the stress and deals with it is the deciding factor.
Do you receive His corrections like your field of faith is being sowed by hand or a tractor?
The seed will get sent out regardless of the condition of the receiving soil’s plot.
Hard rocky ground, a thin layer, or deeper dirt that may be fertilized or not. Matt. 13:3-8, Mark 4:3-8

The seed is God’s children that spread a graceful love that guides us unto a pure and righteous act. Matt.13:38
Whether I conform and perform or get transformed determines if my faith will be packed
With knowledge, understanding and wisdom to keep my spirit calm and in peace Prov. 1:2-7
Or if I’ll still be at a point where I’ll give God another fleece

To test what He’s actually doing, and if I’m the main reason
I might have continual stress and why it’s lasting past a second season.
I’m being taught to be a mature follower so I can now eat some meat
And not just keep sucking on the baby milk of His word and keep getting knocked off my feet

But now able to keep standing and forgo the falling 7 times and getting back up. Prov. 24:16
I’m now at the “Bride’s wedding feast” and on HIS BODY and BLOOD I now sup. Luke 22:30
He’s the “Bread of Life” and I only find nourishment now in a special way. John 6:48-51
It’s that I’m finding more often my flesh being denied while I amazingly stay patient unto the day

When He’ll show me the rewards, some of which I see, even today, that He has planned.
I thank God He’s also given me mercy and much “Fruit” to eat so the meal is far from bland
But spiced up with 12 flavors I never even dreamt possible to taste Rev. 22:2
So I’ll know that the trials I’ve been through have not been a waste.

Rich Kovatch
8-23-12